Sketching the Past

I was poking around in my cabinet awhile ago and found a bunch of miscellaneous papers stocked there. When I look at them one by one, I was amazed to see all the drawings and sketches I did way back when I was in high school. Most of them are drawings of anime characters, costumes, houses and sceneries. There are also numerous scratch papers, several unfinished drawings, and stories that I didn’t finished writing. I never touched them for several years and I was overcome with nostalgia of the old days. I can safely say that I was really good in drawing and painting way back then. Unfortunately, drawing and painting is something that I have neglected for the past years, especially when I reached college. It never developed, and now, I don’t know if I still have that artistic capacity. I remembered, almost pensively, my art textbook when I was in elementary and how I always get a grade of no lower than 90% for my works. One of those works (which I was asked to drew in a 1/4 illustration board and colored with colored pencils and crayons) was even put on an exhibit in our school. I was even encouraged by my art teacher to join a drawing contest and won the 2nd place. When I reached high school, I met a friend who is an anime fanatic and really very good in drawing. Being an anime fangirl myself, I was motivated to continue drawing despite zero encouragement from other people. I remember how my mom would scold me for staying up until past midnight just to finish my drawing, or when I would go to the bookstore to buy many pencils, or when I would continue drawing even though my hands and my eyes already hurts. And yeah, all these contributed to my poor eyesight.

I feel like wanting to hold a pencil and start sketching again. Maybe I should try again doing things I’ve never done for a long time. There’s nothing wrong about it. But being full of self-doubt, it’s something that will always remain as a small reminder of the past that is not easy (if not impossible) to return.



my work, it was done in 2002. i used a black pen and pencil for this..

*****



This drawing was also done in 2002. It was a painstaking work for me. <sigh>

*****



Undated...but maybe around 2003?

*****



A recent one, dated April 03, 2010.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What every challenge is trying to teach me

A Bird that Cannot Be Caged

Sensual Zodiac: The Cancer Woman