My feelings about Russian churches, the Orthodox Church, and religion

My first experiences with Orthodox churches was when I was in elementary. Back then I was quite naive with matters about religion, what more, matters outside that of my own. I do not remember exactly when I started feeling interested and later fascinated with the onion-shaped domes of Orthodox churches. Everytime I see the colorful cupolas of the St. Basil Cathedral, I’m reminded that my church does not possess such a lovely feature. More and more, I begun to wonder about the interiors of such churches: How do they look like inside? Are they beautiful?

In fact, they are more beautiful than I first thought. Russian churches are particularly magnificent and sumptuous beyond anything I’ve seen. They are complete contrast to the simple and austere interiors of Protestant churches that I have known since a child. The cathedral door is huge and heavy. Actually, the church itself is huge and towering high in the skies. The exteriors are heavily painted with different colors sometimes to an almost bizarre degree. The interiors are even more breathtaking. Everywhere is lavishly decorated and the color of gold is very imposing. Icons of Christ, the Theotokos, and the saints are scattered everywhere but the Iconastasis at the altar is the main beauty of the church. Large and priceless chandeliers hang from the church’s high and elaborate ceiling. There are no chairs inside the church so services are conducted with the priest and the laity are standing. Masses are usually lengthy and, when there are many people, stuffy. It is almost dim inside, for only candles are use for lighting the whole place. The smell of incense mixed with the smoke of burning candles, the echoing voice of the priest, the hauntingly beautiful chants of the choirs, and the faint voices of the congregation…everything is very moving, mysterious, and almost unearthly. During church services, the bearded priest speaks in Russian. I remember how during the golden age of the Russian Orthodox Church under the Tsars, priests wear cloth of gold and precious stones. Members of high society and peasants attend services equally. In modern times, almost nothing changed. The people particularly the elder women are still wearing veil. There is chanting and people are kissing the Icons. Some are prostrating and are crying. Everyone is very emotional. Somehow, I feel that these people possess the most genuine of emotions and feelings. They are not ashamed to implore God and our Savior with passionate emotions. In other Churches, it is like a big deal for most people when they see others crying before the altar, what more a mournful cry. That is why, it’s hard to be one’s self and all they do is restrain their emotions. But in Orthodox churches, it is different. People view their religion as something that should not be taken lightly and that they live with a close and deep relationship with their Creator. Somehow, I wish that people here will feel and do the same. It maybe hard to achieve this in modern times but I think it is not completely impossible. Furthermore, Russian churches, and the Orthodox Church as a whole, will always have a special place within me. The images will always be etched in my mind. Right now I’m not thinking of converting or anything. I do not think my family, especially my relatives, will ever forgive if I ever do that. But who knows, maybe in the future I might, but there’s more that I have to learn and understand to do such a drastic decision. Because when I do convert, I want to be truly deserving to belong in that beautiful religion and be a part of it even after death. And yes, religion is not something that should be taken lightly, and true love and devotion to God is not achieve for merely a couple of days, weeks or years. It takes a lifetime, and even death, to achieve that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What every challenge is trying to teach me

A Bird that Cannot Be Caged

Sensual Zodiac: The Cancer Woman