Chinese New Year 2012



January 23, 2012: This is my first time to spend Chinese New Year in Chinatown. This is actually my bf's idea. Since the 27th (today) is his birthday, we decided to have an advance celebration. Good thing the 23rd is also our monthsary, so it's a pretty good timing to celebrate two events in one day.

I can say that the weather was on our side that day. Yes, it was sunny, but not humid, so I was quite surprised. In this tropical country, weather is changeable, so it is a good thing that this January is a pretty good-weathered month. Anyway, my bf and I met at the bus station at around 9:30am. Took the jeepney for a 5-minute ride going to Binondo. As expected, I can already see throng of people, many of them wearing red shirts as a sign of good fortune, going through the arch which serves as the 'gate' to Chinatown. There were so many vendors, selling different kinds of lucky charms (bracelets, dragon statues, fortune plants, etc.) Amateur and professional photographers are already clamoring for the best shots. When I look at my entry-level camera and compared it to their DSLRs, somehow, I felt a little embarrass. Haha. But it's just a minor thing, since a lot of people still used their camera phones to take pictures. :) I was able to buy a bracelet for my mom and took pictures of the dragon-dance. At around 11am, we had our lunch at Ying Ying Tea House for authentic Chinese food. The food there is very delicious and very reasonable priced. There were actually a lot of people already having their lunch there before we came. When we finished our lunch before 12nn, there were already so many people, and many were still waiting to have their seats. Proof that this restaurant is really good.

At around noon, we went to Manila's shopping district, Divisoria. Bf and I were able to buy many items: clothes, accessories, shoes, etc.  And everything is also affordable. I brought my own foldable bag so that we don't need separate plastic bags for each item we bought. I advocate eco-friendly shopping. :)

Anyway, here are some pictures I have taken of Chinatown. Sorry no pictures of Divisoria. I was kind of apprehensive to take out my camera and take pictures because Divisoria is notorious for incidents of theft.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What every challenge is trying to teach me

A Bird that Cannot Be Caged

3rd Wedding Anniversary