The Day I Turned 25

It was my 25th birthday last June 26, and instead of celebrating it with my family, I decided to go out of town and meet mt boyfriend. The reason for this: boredom. I've spent many days in our house virtually alone almost everyday. My usual cure for boredom is reading books but since I haven't read anything for the past couple of days because I haven't bought any new books yet, I was stuck in the house watching tv. Not a good past-time, I think. I've been controlling myself from going to the nearby bookstore to browse and buy books, because I had planned to go to Manila for my birthday. Two days before my birthday, a typhoon surged and flooded many roads in out town and in Manila, so I was worried that my plan to go there might not pull through. Thankfully, on the night of the 25th, it stopped raining heavily already, and in the next morning, the 26th, the sky is still cloudy but there were no signs of an impending rain.

At around 10am I took the bus going to Quezon City and after an hour, I safely arrived there. I can already feel the warmth of the sun hiding behind those clouds. While waiting for my boyfriend, I went in a second-hand bookshop and was able to grab a back-issue of Majesty Magazine, which is quite great. Then at around 12pm, I met my boyfriend and took our lunch in a restaurant that offers native home-cooked food. Very delicious. :-) After lunch, we decided to go to another second-hand bookshop, and to my utter delight, I found two hardback books about royalty. I squealed quietly like a child and my boyfriend was smiling at me. The books cost 130 pesos each (roughly around $3 each). The we went National Bookstore Superbranch. As the name implies, yes, it's the biggest branch of that well-known bookstore. The bookstore occupies a whole 4-story building. The 3rd floor has history books and at the corner there is a section of discounted books about history, royalty, etc. The books are new and they sliced out from 50%-75% from the books' original price. Now that's a bargain! At the 4th floor, every books you see there are all on sale. Many of the books are in very good to good condition while many others are already ageing with their yellow pages and old smell. But nevertheless, they are still in good condition. I was able to grab two paperback books and only paid 80pesos ($2). What a great deal. The four books that I bought were very heavy. Thankfully my boyfriend was there to help me carry the books. He is such a gentleman. :-)

We decided to relax for a while and bought ice-cream. It is a sure way to treat yourself after walking for several minutes under the faint glow of the sun and humidity. We chatted and delighted on our finds. He kept on saying that I had a great eye for finding and discovering the books that I really wanted in such a bookshop. We looked around throughout a mall and ate hamburgers when we got hungry. 

I took the bus going to my town at around 7:30pm. It was a highly enjoyable day. I was able to meet my objective, that is, to look for and buy books, while at the same time, I had such a great time with my loved one.

 I was able to reach home before 9pm. Even though I was on my foot throughout most of the day, surprisingly, I didn't feel tired at all. I certainly enjoyed that very special day.


These are the books that I was able to buy.

The Oxford Book of Royal Anecdotes [Hardback]
Elizabeth Longford
Bought for 130pesos (around $3)



***

Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles
[Hardback]
Margaret George
Brought for 130pesos (around $3)



***

The Favourite: Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough
[Paperback]
Ophelia Field
Bought for 50pesos (around $1.25)



***

Georgina, Duchess of Devonshire [Paperback]
Amanda Foreman
Bought for 30pesos (around $0.75)

***

It is here where I bought the 2 hardbacks. I books here are cheap and in fine to good condition.


***

And this is the mother of all National Bookstore. This branch has four floors and occupy the entire building.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What every challenge is trying to teach me

A Bird that Cannot Be Caged

Sensual Zodiac: The Cancer Woman